Thursday, June 4, 2009

One for me and one for E.V.

So I did some sewing last Saturday. It was really fun. I used two patterns from a great new book by fabric designer, Heather Ross called Weekend Sewing. I made one thing for myself and one thing for the baby. (I'd love to tell you her name, but I'm afraid to jinx it, so we will go with her initials, E.V., for now.)

For myself, I made the Weekend-Away Travel Bag.
Purple make-up bag, approximate dimensions 9" x 7" x 3"

The outer fabric is by this Japanese designer. I ordered it from superbuzzy.com a while back and just got around to using it. For the lining I used some lavender fabric with purple dots from the Hancock that I had in my stash. I liked the pattern, but I'll probably make some adjustments next time I make this bag. I wasn't pleased with how it all went together in the last step, so I'll rethink that before I try it again. Overall, it is PERFECT for it's intended use: a make-up bag to take to the hospital.

For little E.V., I made Lucy's Kimono.
Kimono styled shirt with side ties in a super fun fabric with red Maltese crosses!!

The main fabric is by Amy Butler from her Belle line. The binding is by Sandi Henderson from her Farmers Market line. This was a super easy project. I'm going to make more of these. I'll probably have to adjust the pattern (currently newborn to three months) so that E.V. will have some longer-wearing jackets for the fall. The only problem with this pattern is that it calls for 1/2 yard of contrast bias tape for the binding and I used 1 and 1/2 yards. Most likely it was just a typo, and it wasn't that big of an issue since I made my own bias binding with one of these.

All in all, these were two fun projects that led to some nice "instant-gratification" sewing!

No comments: