Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Emmeline - Week 1

Friends. I have neglected my blog. I have a good reason, and she is really pretty. Emmeline Violet was born on July 7 and we have spent the last four weeks hanging out and getting to know her. I'll (try to) post weekly for a while with her updates, but I'll spend the next four posts catching up.
I'll spare you the entire birth story, but I'll let you know that I was induced. They started pitocin at 7 am and Emmeline was born on Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 2:18 pm. She weighed 8 lb. 7 oz., was 21 inches long and had a 14.5 inch head. Right after birth, she had trouble keeping her oxygen levels up. They took her for observation, but she ended up spending four days in the NICU for a pneumothorax and fluid in her lungs.
It was really sad, but for the best. She was in great hands and we got to spend a lot of time with her during visiting hours.I finally got to hold her for more than a second which was GREAT! She was still hooked up to monitors and still had the IV in her head, but I think it made us both feel better.
We brought her home on Saturday, July 11.
For those of you who were worried about the dogs, there was no need. Winni, as you can see, LOVES her. Ginny thinks she is her baby and comes in if Emmeline makes a peep in the other room to see why we aren't running to the rescue. Chica and Calvin love her too.
We really love her and can't wait to get to know her more. I'll post again soon.

4 comments:

Leslie and Geoff said...

Love the update and the pics! Thanks for sharing, and enjoy this special time!

TBG said...

yay for baby emmeline! she's precious and i know you're on cloud 9 :) congratulations-so happy for you and David!

Rachel said...

She is so pretty, Elin! I know you are having fun getting to know her. They change so quickly! Do you think she looks like her Daddy??

Elin said...

Rachel, I'm not sure who she looks like. I think there are aspects of both of us - my eyes and browline, David's chin, my hands, David's feet. It is so hard to tell because she is changing so quickly!