Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This is my confession...

I have an addiction.  It isn't costly.  It isn't harmful.  It isn't damaging to my health.  But it is an addiction nonetheless. 

And I have no intention of quitting.

I am totally addicted to shopping at the thrift store.  Seriously.  Clothes, shoes, furniture, home decor items, office supplies, jewelry, purses... they all find their way home with me.



 I love it for many reasons.  Here's a few:
  • I get nice stuff for dirt cheep.  Leather Fossil purse for $4.  Steve Madden pumps for a friend (pictured above) $5.  Mid-century modern Danish buffet for $20.  Chico's jeans for $5.  Yup.  All at the thrift.
  • I supports charities.  I shop at the Big Saver, Mission Possible, Goodwill, Salvation Army and a few other local thrift stores; all of which support great local programs and charities.
  • Retail therapy is awesome.  Sometimes, blowing $10 is good for the soul.  I could go and buy two pairs of new socks, or I could go to the thrift store and buy an entire new outfit... head to toe (minus unmentionables, of course).  A little more bang for the buck, if you ask me.
  • It keeps things out of the land fill.  Just because something is at the thrift store, doesn't mean that it is trash. Someone might be on a weight loss journey and only be in a size for a few months.  I know that is one of the reasons that I started shopping second hand.  I knew I was losing weight, so why buy new pants when I'd drop a size in a few weeks months.
  • I'm not buying new, so I'm lessening the impact of consumerism on the environment.  Sure, not by much, but every little bit helps.
A friend suggested that I start blogging about some of my finds at the thrift store.  I have neglected this blog, because I really didn't have too much I wanted to write about, but I think this subject matter should help.  This week I'll start the subject out with a Thrifty Thursday post about a recent furniture purchase.  I'm also planning on posting some of the outfits I find second-hand.  One of my Lenten diciplines this year was to wear one outfit every week that was all second-hand, so now that I'm in the practice of doing that, I hope to have some good posts.

(Did I get this song stuck in your head with the title of the post?  If so, sorry...)

No comments: